Re: Booting an LDOM (can't find kernel)

On 2016-07-26 17:15, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 07/26/2016 11:02 PM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
On 2016-07-26 16:58, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
The second one is panicing because ttyS0 doesn't exist,

"[244919.084723] Warning: unable to open an initial console."

do you have a serial port configured on this ldom?

I don't think the kernel would panic because of a missing console.

The problem is clearly related to init.

Perhaps both are panicing? In this situation it seems that systemd, initramfs, etc... are all on one console and the kernel messages are on another. I.E. kernel messages are on ttyS0 and everything else is on tty0 (whatever tty0 is).

Come to think of it, my t5120 shows a similar behavior. Booting without console=ttyS0 i can see all kernel messages and systemd / initramfs messages, but no login prompt. If i boot with console=ttyS0 i can see kernel messages, and eventually get a login prompt, but all systemd / initramfs messages are missing.

It seems the same issue is being experienced here, but init is dying before the login prompt can start. With console=ttyS0 we loose the systemd messages, and without it systemd seems to move to the wrong tty before panicing as we loose all output before a panic.

The real question is why initramfs / systemd aren't sending output to ttyS0 when console=ttyS0 is specified. Is...

[244919.084723] Warning: unable to open an initial console.

indicating that systemd can't attach to ttyS0 for whatever reason?

And further more, what is tty0? Why is systemd starting getty with no video card. Sun4U machines do not start getty; does the ldom provide a virtual vga console?