Re: Netra T1 200 watchdog timeouts

Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Jurij Smakov wrote:

Looking at the output you see, I have doubts that it has anything to do with SILO though. SILO prints letters 'S', 'I', 'L' and 'O' (appearing before the prompt) after it completes execution of different parts of first-stage loader. As you can see in the code (first/first.S), printing 'S' is the first thing first-stage loader does upon startup. The fact that it is not seen in the console output suggests that even first-stage loader never got to run. The line

Boot device: /pci@1f,0/pci@1/scsi@8/disk@0,0:a  File and args:

which is normally printed by OBP before control is passed to SILO does not appear in the watchdog-reset case either, which, again, is a strong sign that failure happens before SILO has a chance to run.

This is something to do with the type of disc being used, i.e. the exact firmware version or similar, rather than the Debian release or the version of SILO etc.

I'm using non-Sun SCA discs, badged Compaq but apparently WD. Some work OK while others- nominally the same but with visibly different PCB- fail the first boot.

This might still be specific to OBP in a Netra T1, both types of disc boot first time in an Ultra-1. It affects Lenny, Squeeze and Wheezy, and possibly other OSes.

All the drives I've tested are 9Gb SCA. Of the discs available to me (WD, Seagate, Fujitsu, IBM) no disc that has been branded Compaq works adequately, while discs that have been branded Sun or are generic (e.g. straight from Seagate) are OK. I have never seen this problem on any other systems, Sun or otherwise.

My suspicion is that the variant/version of OBP on these machines recognises that a disc has been badged by an OEM, assumes that it's Sun without checking in further detail, and tries to do something Sun-specific.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk