Re: Netra T1 200 watchdog timeouts

On 19/09/2012 13:10, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Richard Mortimer wrote:
On 18/09/2012 18:49, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Richard Mortimer wrote:
... snip ...
This affects both Lenny and Wheezy but does not affect Squeeze,
i.e. it
appears to be a regression. Since this happens in between the OBP boot
command and SILO's boot prompt, I presume that it is a SILO problem or
that the installer is doing something odd to the disklabel.

Lenny:    1.4.13
Squeeze: 1.4.14
Wheezy:    1.4.14

I don't see how the LOM firmware would affect this. OBP maybe but if
it is a processor watchdog then it I doubt its LOM. SILO would be my
first suspect.

SILO is also my suspect (after a lot of fiddling trying to disable lom
watchdog from OBP etc.) and those are SILO version numbers :-/

Brain wasn't turned on enough to realise that!

 From memory I don't think the LOM watchdog is ever enabled in OBP on
the T1 200. It only ever gets enabled by the device drivers once
Solaris is running (if the packages you mention below are installed of
course).

OK but at the same time the README from Solaris patch 110208-21
explicitly says

5043823  Patch 110208-18 changes watchdog behavior and causes watchdog
resets when probed

and

4412177  lomlite2 watchdog is not always disabled on "reboot" - 110208-07

both of which read as though there could be spurious watchdog events
even without Solaris's intervention. However I note your point about the
LOM log not showing anything.
I'm still pretty convinced that the problem you are seeing is nothing to do with LOM. I think that both of those are Solaris device driver issues too.

Should I be raising this as a bug, or can I assume that the people who
need to know about it are already aware of the issue?
Given that this affects Wheezy then a Debian bug is certainly in order.

I haven't had time to track the development of Wheezy closely but I think that it is pretty much using upstream SILO. I vaguely remember a few changes upstream recently for both ext2/4 support and for cpu detection. One of those could be causing your problem on the Wheezy build.

Given the nature of the problem I think it would be useful to have a good description of your installation in the bug. In particular filesystem layout (partition table), type (ext2/3/4) etc. may be relevant. A copy of the console session would be good to attach too.

Regards

Richard

P.S. I actually have a T1-200 too but I'm lacking in time to try it out here. Its going to be a few weeks before I can try.