Re: Running applications remotely on headless SPARC box

Martin wrote:
On Sun, 2012-09-16 at 22:09 +0100, Kaya Saman wrote:
Hi,

I would like to use one of my V210's as an application server however, there is an issue while using X11 forwarding.

I have enabled X11_forwarding under /etc/ssh/sshd_config however, whenever I try to start an application from my x86 box remotely using:

ssh -X or ssh -Y

I get presented with "cannot connect to X server".

I guess that I will need to have the X server enabled on both client and server machines however, since my V210 doesn't have a GPU only the serial console what are my options?

Not necessarily but you will need some of the X libraries installed so
you have xhost and similar.  I don't recall which packages are needed
(they may be included in the suggested packages for openssh) but
installing xterm was sufficient last time I ran into a problem like
this.

I routinely run headless on several architectures, but have held off commenting since I'm on comparatively old versions of Linux (Etch through Squeezy) and don't have recent Sun hardware. I normally install the KDE variant of Debian, then install ssh, gdm (since its XDMCP support works, might need a tweak in the config file), xterm and a VNC server; that allows me to use a local console (if one exists), remote X, X over SSH, or VNC. As they say, "it just works".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk