Re: Problems with IceWeasel

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 10:45:22AM +0200, BERTRAND Joël <joel.bertrand@systella.fr> wrote:
> gavin duley wrote:
>> On 20 Jul 2007, at 17:41, gavin duley wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I'm not certain if this is a bug with some package, or whether it's just
>>> something odd on my machine, but IceWeasel hasn't been working for me
>>> for a few days. I'm running Debian testing on a Sun Ultra 5.
>> Looks like debian-sparc was not the right place to ask this particular
>> question. At first I thought it might be sparc specific, but I don't think
>> so any more. I'll try asking on debian-user later if I get a chance.
>
> 	It is a bug with futex (only occurs with POSIX threads support and glibc
> 2.5 or 2.6). I have inform David Miller, but I don't know if he has found a
> solution. I have seen that a minor bug in futex has been fixed on git, but
> I haven't tested.

Thanks for the information. It looks like this isn't just a simple problem
with my machine, so I'll just have to wait on a bug fix.

> 	I have only seen this bug on U60 and U80, never on U2, and few programs
> hang (iceape [and all softwares from seamonkey suite], clamd, bind,
> milter-greylist, mimedefang...).

The interesting thing I note here is that most of the problems caused seem
to be the program hanging, rather than refusing to start (as IceWeasel is).

This makes me think that whilst this may be the bug that caused IceWeasel
to freeze (which it did the last time I used it), it's not the one that is
making it unable to start. I just now thought that the problem might be a
corrupted file in the .mozilla folder, and removing that fixed the problem.
Maybe it became corrupted when IceWeasel froze and I had to kill it
earlier. I can't think why I didn't try this earlier, it's worked before.
So IceWeasel is working again now.

thanks,

gavin,