Re: Dropping sparc32 for lenny

Am 2007-04-25 16:36:07, schrieb Chris Newport:
> You are misinterpreting Sun's position.
> Sun provides hardware and Solaris support for all Sun machines
> until at least 10 years after the last of the type was offered for sale.
> This is one helluva lot longer than most other companies.

OK.

> I have Ultra 2 and Ultra 5 machines here, both are supported in both
> Solaris 10 and Linux. Both can be found on EBay, usually selling for
> less than the shipping cost.

Maybe in the USA, but not in France or Germany...
Since the CPU of my U10 exploded I must run a SS10/512 and if the price
of a U5 is less then shiping, where can I get a U5 for 50 Euro?

Note: I am looking for a U10 or U20 and I need it generaly as "buildd"
      but from time to time as Workstation.

> All 32 bit Sun machines have been obselete for more than 10 years,

OK, thats right...

> the last example being the Sparc 5 which was kept in production
> artificially until the Ultra 5 had been qualified for use as the SSP on
> E10000 systems.
>
> Despite this, the architecture is well documented and Sun have been
> very helpfull in tracking down any information that has been requested.
>
> Sun assists the 64 bit Sparc port of Linux, and has done for
> several years.

I was on the Website, but there interviews are not realy corresponding
to the "real" world...  Even if Sun ovffer it Servers with Solaris OR
Linux.

> The real problem with Sparc32 is simple, the maintainer is not doing the
> job and nobody has volunteered to take over. Without an active kernel
> maintainer the port is suffering from bit rot and is doomed.

Unfortunatly I have no clue about SPARC kernels...

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

                   50, rue de Soultz         MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193    67100 Strasbourg/France   IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)