Re: Xorg 7 on sparc64

On Thursday 15 June 2006 00:33, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Jun 2006, Steve Pacenka wrote:
> > I would hesitate to try Xorg 7 from Debian Sparc repositories except when
> > thee is no alternative, i.e. bare metal.  Working pre-7 versions have
> > disappeared from Testing so there is no easy way to revert if 7.0 is
> > broken.  A definite mass breakage is that neither Testing nor Sid
> > contains any of the xserver-xorg-video-sun* packages that provide drivers
> > for ffb, tgx, leo, etc.
>
> Are those drivers available upstream and are not available as packages
> purely due to faulty packaging? Has this problem been brought to the
> attention of XSF in any way?

According to David Nusinow of XSF, these drivers need a maintainer.  He lacks
hardware for testing.  Source is in the XSF subversion repository.

I've offered an Ultra 2, which may need memory if my scrounging does not
succeed.  I'm willing to be a tester for drivers of what I keep running in
noncritical roles, which is Creator3D, Elite3D, cg14, and onboard ATI in
U5/10.  I'll try to build the unavailable packages and my own version of the
xserver-xorg-video-ati package using XSF subversion sources.

No promises about results or earliness.

-- SP