Re: Problem with network booting of an IPX

Frans Pop wrote:
On Tuesday 14 June 2005 22:04, wolfdieter.schmidt@arcor.de wrote:

I do not know how many users step into this pitfall :-(
Hope not too many!

Well, it is actually documented in the Release Notes.
- In appendix A:
  Because packages may need to be installed from woody, you should first
  check that entries in your sources.list still refer to woody as
  explained in Checking your sources list, Section B.3.
- In appendix B.3:
  If any of the lines in your /etc/apt/sources.list refer to 'stable', you
  are effectively already "using" sarge. If you have already run apt-get
  update, you can still get back without problems following the procedure
  below.

The only problem may be that you may not be fully alert to this issue if you've just done a new installation.

3rd try :-)

Okay, woody is installed from the floppy and running. As I mentioned
before, the problem starts when I get asked during the first reboot
if I want to add any repository for installing more programs. After
this step I see these lines in the /etc/apt/sources.list

deb http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/Linux/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb-src http://sunsite.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/ftp/pub/Linux/debian/ stable main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main contrib non-free

Look at 'stable' which, as you pointed out, is actually sarge :-(

So adding any repository breaks the installation :-(

[[I solved this by quickly changing stable to woody in that file which
later caused errors :-( Sorry, that I can not post them here, since
at that time I do not have any means to copy date from the screen to
wherever. But the last line told me to start apt-get update to solve
the confict.]]

Now the correct way ist to cancel adding a package repository and
instead type the lines in /etc/apt/sources.list. Bad thing, since
the minimal system after reboot has no ftp, no rcp, no telnetd or
similar, so you really have to type them on the keyboard :-(

... Or install woody from a CD image, a local mirror or similar.

However. Woody is running. And I installed modutils and initrd-tools
There is one error which I do not like so much:

Setting up modutils (2.4.26-1.2woody1) ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/init.d/modutils ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/modutils/aliases ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/modutils/paths ...
Installing new version of config file /etc/modutils/arch/s390 ...
Architecture-specific modutils configuration not found, using defaults
depmod: *** Unresolved symbols in /lib/modules/2.2.20/fs/hfs.o

Setting up cramfsprogs (1.1-6.woody1) ...

Is this unresolved symbol my fault, can I fix it, or is it normal
behavior which can be ignored safely?

Cheers
Wolfdieter