Re: Problems with Xinerama using a Matrox Millenium / Creator 3D with an Ultra 30.

> > > I have seen one message about this but was not able to find out more. where
> > > and how would I look for these?
> > I think it was relating to running X on SPARC on a 2.6 kernel and was
> > around the time 2.6 came out.  Which would mean it was some time in
> > 2004.  Download the archives and grep or google seem like your best
> > options.
>
> The PCI device tree names under /proc/bus/pci have changed to the
> format of:
>
> 	/proc/bus/pci/$(PCI_DOMAIN_NUM):$(PCI_BUS_NUM)/
>
> instead of the old:
>
> 	/proc/bus/pci/$(PCI_BUS_NUM)/
>
> X's device probe has never been fixed to handle this correctly.
>
> It really needs this fix, as X is busted on multiple platforms
> with 2.6.x kernels because of this.
This:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/05/msg00203.html
purports to be a patch, seems a bit hack-ish but looks like a start.  I
guess it's not a complete solution for the reason given here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/01/msg00026.html

The latest CVS version of XFree86 seems to have a different solution
which I /think/ solves the problem.
http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bus/linuxPci.c
change 249
"249. Deal with Linux 2.6's PCI bus naming (Marc La France)."  But given
that 4.4 won't be in Debian for licencing reasons and there is a
migration to X.org planned for post-sarge it does seem like quite a
reasonable approach to solving the problem.

HTH

Cheers,
 - Martin

For the sake of completeness there are a number of suggested kernel
hacks:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/02/msg00013.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-x/2003/12/msg00404.html
and a simpiler hack for X (that is listed as 'works in some but not all
cases')
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2004/01/msg00027.html
and the whole thread kicks off here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2003/12/msg00182.html