Re: Problems with Xinerama using a Matrox Millenium / Creator 3D with an Ultra 30.

Martin wrote:

>> Got my Ultra Sparc 30 installed with Debian Sarge and fixed the usual
>> Keyboard problems. I then compiled an own Kernel 2.6.11.2 to have support
>> for the additional Adaptec SCSI Controller and Matrox Graphics card. Both
>> seem to work well. For the Matrox I use the Framebuffer device that comes
>> with the 2.6 Kernels.
> Fnar!  I've been meaning to try that for ages.  Ran out of time after
> finding that PC ATi Rage cards kill the firmware on Ultra AXi boards.
> Oh well - good to know it works.  Have you tried it with any other PCI
> cards?  Also are you using the card with the 'be a VGA card' DIP switch
> set?

Nope, have just tried the adaptec and matrox millenium I (dunno if its got
dipsies, dint have to change any though ;-). 24bit Video modes are a bit
odd, the left 1/8th of the screen is on the right hand side. but 8 and 16
seem to work fine so far.

>> BUT the Matrox framebuffer will only work when no BusID is specified in
>> the Device Section, otherwise I get an illegal paging request, as laid
>> out below. Driver MGA does not work as X does not see the card.
> I'm not sure it has been 'officially ported' or not.  The stable
> xfree86-server package doesn't have it and (IIRC) it wasn't listed as
> supported on Linux/SPARC last time I looked.  It's possible that it been
> set to build but never actually tested.
probably so, the module mga is included but doesnt work.

>> If I add the Creator 3D X seems to require BusID's specified with every
>> device.
> Have you tried with two matrox millenium cards?  Might be a problem with
> the particular combination of drivers?
Cant do, only have one and the Creator already came with the box. The Xfree
log looks OK though (to how far I can understand it). X just moans about
necessity to have the BusID specified but I f'ing have!

>> I suspect there is something wrong with the PCI scan of X. Scanpci does
>> only list the 66MHz PCI Bus omitting the second bus installed whereas
>> lspci sees all of the devices.
> There certainly used to be something wrong with it.  Check the archives
> for around autumn last year (IIRC), there was a patch for handling
> scanning the PCI bus.

I have seen one message about this but was not able to find out more. where
and how would I look for these? Would really like to get this fixed.

> As regards whether multi-head is possible or not.  People have posted to
> the list claiming to have working set ups in the past and I see know
> reason why it /shouldn't/ work.  Attempting this properly is slowly
> climbing up my list of priorities.

It got me some deeper understanding of X though, specially the XFree config
file.

> HTH
>
> Cheers,
>  - Martin