Re: Problems with Xinerama using a Matrox Millenium / Creator 3D with an Ultra 30.

> >> Got my Ultra Sparc 30 installed with Debian Sarge and fixed the usual
> >> Keyboard problems. I then compiled an own Kernel 2.6.11.2 to have support
> >> for the additional Adaptec SCSI Controller and Matrox Graphics card. Both
> >> seem to work well. For the Matrox I use the Framebuffer device that comes
> >> with the 2.6 Kernels.
> > Fnar!  I've been meaning to try that for ages.  Ran out of time after
> > finding that PC ATi Rage cards kill the firmware on Ultra AXi boards.
> > Oh well - good to know it works.  Have you tried it with any other PCI
> > cards?  Also are you using the card with the 'be a VGA card' DIP switch
> > set?
> Nope, have just tried the adaptec and matrox millenium I (dunno if its got
> dipsies, dint have to change any though ;-).
Some have DIP switches that change it between being a normal VGA
graphics card and a secondary adaptor.  This only seems to make a
difference on x86 systems when it comes to initialising graphics cards
and allocation of address ranges.

> 24bit Video modes are a bit
> odd, the left 1/8th of the screen is on the right hand side.
Bizaar.  Have you tried tampering with the modeline?

> but 8 and 16 seem to work fine so far.
Cool!

> >> If I add the Creator 3D X seems to require BusID's specified with every
> >> device.
> > Have you tried with two matrox millenium cards?  Might be a problem with
> > the particular combination of drivers?
> Cant do, only have one and the Creator already came with the box.
I've got a few lying round here so I'll try with multiple matrox cards
at some point.

> The Xfree
> log looks OK though (to how far I can understand it). X just moans about
> necessity to have the BusID specified but I f'ing have!
Hmmm... bizaar.  I would suggest asking the X dev community but I
suspect you're more likely to get support out of the X.org lists.  Have
you considered / tried using X.org?

> >> I suspect there is something wrong with the PCI scan of X. Scanpci does
> >> only list the 66MHz PCI Bus omitting the second bus installed whereas
> >> lspci sees all of the devices.
> > There certainly used to be something wrong with it.  Check the archives
> > for around autumn last year (IIRC), there was a patch for handling
> > scanning the PCI bus.
> I have seen one message about this but was not able to find out more. where
> and how would I look for these?
I think it was relating to running X on SPARC on a 2.6 kernel and was
around the time 2.6 came out.  Which would mean it was some time in
2004.  Download the archives and grep or google seem like your best
options.

Cheers,
 - Martin

--