Re: debianinstaller root+raid+lvm on U30

On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:58:09 -0500, Adam Snodgrass wrote:
> Is SILO aware of RAID or LVM?  I guess I could go back and blow all this
> stuff away and create a non-RAID, non-LVM partition at the start of both
> disks for /boot; suboptimal but I guess I'll take what I can get.

I've had no end of trouble with SILO and RAID-1.  On my first few
attempts to install Debian on the Netra, I ran into what I thought was a
bug in silo.c, and hacking around with it produced varying degrees of
success.  As far as I can tell, the problem resulted from trying to
install the boot block for a degraded /boot array (only /dev/sdb1
active).

Anyway, using the method I described in my previous post, the SILO
installation worked fine.  I can boot from disk0:3 or disk1:3, which is
what I wanted all along (the system can completely survive the loss of
one disk).

S.