Re: blade 1000 boot problem

> You will find that running a 2.6 kernel is _a lot_ of hassle! There's something
> with the machine/kernel that makes everything work very irradic. I know, my
> primary server is a SB1k and I've had a lot of strange kernel hangs, krashes
> etc.. Kernel 2.4 actually worked better, although a lot slower. I finally have
> a kernel that seems to work.
>
> You can find the deb package for the kernel at the URL:
>
> ftp://ftp.bayour.com/pub/debian/dists/woody-ol2.2/binary-sparc/Kernel/kernel-image-2.6.12-rc3-sparc64_10.20_sparc.deb

How do I extract a tftpboot image out of the above listed package? I also
notice it's 2.6, were you saying that this 2.6 kernel is one that you
found to work, or that you finally have a 2.4 kernel which appears to
work?

> The TFTP boot image I was using when I installed this machine
> roughly a year ago came from 'phunnypharm.org' (image is made
> by Ben Collins if I'm not misstaken).
>
> You can find that image (as soon as my web directories have
> finished syncing, in a few minutes) at the URL:
>
> http://www.bayour.com/Blade1000/tftpboot_phunnypharm.img
>

> Note that this is a woody system, so if you want/need sarge,
> you'll have to do a dist-upgrade when it's finished installing...

I tried working with this one just now, you're right 2.4 is a bit slower
and the installer isn't quite as friendly but so far it's doing alright -
ran into the same problem as earlier where after picking locale it screwed
up my keyboard, but was able to struggle back to a standard setting and
can move forward again. the 2.4 installer for sarge doesn't seem to have a
literal key-map layout you can choose, just regions and then it picks for
you. Then when it came to downloading drivers.tgz and rescue.bin it was
going off an old directory structure I couldn't change..

So I'm trying to install woody right now from the main debian site instead
of sarge, so far so good (and thankfully avoiding the pitfall of keyboard
problems). If the 2.6 kernel is faster, I'd certainly like to try it but I
think I may wait until I can build my own and get SMP running as well.

Thanks for the input!

<EOL>
Tib