Re: Creator 3 D Framebuffer on Sun Ulta 1: XFree resolution and refresh rate settings

"David S. Miller" <davem@davemloft.net> writes:

> You can't change the screen resolution and refresh rates after the
> system has booted.  Neither the kernel nor Xfree86 know how to reprogram
> the chip into a different resolution or refresh rate.

Yes. I already rebooted after any changes.

> Instead, you have to much with the OpenPROM environment
> variables and reset the machine.

I started from the OBP prompt: the changes I make in the OBP and with
the eeprom utility seem to be equivalent.

Nevertheless: they don't have any effect.

> You can find a list of usable resolutions and refresh rates from the
> Sun Framebuffer document referenced earlier in this thread.

Yes, I tried some which should work for all Creator
Cards. Unfortunately without success.

Do I have to expect the OBP screen will appear in the new refresh
rate. Since it definitely does not (still 66 Hz) this would mean my
problem is more hardware-related than linux-related and that I have to
look for a better place to ask Sun hardware specific questions.

Any Hints?

TIA,

Sebastian