Creator 3 D Framebuffer on Sun Ulta 1: XFree resolution and refresh rate settings

More questions to come :-(

The maschine: Sun Ultra 1, Creator 2D graphic card. Prolem: cannot set
XFree resolution and refresh rate in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using "sunffb"

*Google*

Found http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html so I have to set the
frame buffers parameters at a different place.

http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html#99 says 1020x800 at 85 Hz
would be okay for any Creator 3D so I issued

| plasmatic:/# eeprom output-device=screen:r1024x800x85m

After reboot nothing seems to have changed, my monitor's on screen
display reports a refresh rate of 66 Hz which basically sucks.

,----
| plasmatic:/home/niehaus# eeprom |grep output
| output-device=screen:r1024x800x85m
| plasmatic:/home/niehaus#
`----

My command must have had *some* effect: the parameters have been
stored in the eeprom.

What am I doing wrong? Any hints?

TIA

Sebastian