Re: Creator 3 D Framebuffer on Sun Ulta 1: XFree resolution and refresh rate settings

You can't change the screen resolution and refresh rates after the
system has booted.  Neither the kernel nor Xfree86 know how to reprogram
the chip into a different resolution or refresh rate.

Instead, you have to much with the OpenPROM environment
variables and reset the machine.  For example, from the OBP prompt:

ok setenv output-device screen:r1280x1024x66

or whatever, on my large Sony flatpanel I use this:

ok setenv output-device screen:r1920x1200x70

You can find a list of usable resolutions and refresh rates from the
Sun Framebuffer document referenced earlier in this thread.