Re: Creator 3 D Framebuffer on Sun Ulta 1: XFree resolution and refresh rate settings

On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:21:39PM +0200, Sebastian Niehaus wrote:
[snip]
> The maschine: Sun Ultra 1, Creator 2D graphic card. Prolem: cannot set
> XFree resolution and refresh rate in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using "sunffb"
>
> *Google*
>
> Found http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html so I have to set the
> frame buffers parameters at a different place.

That looks fairly Solaris-specific.

> http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html#99 says 1020x800 at 85 Hz
> would be okay for any Creator 3D so I issued

Should be fine.  The limit would be the speed of the RAMDAC (250 MHz,
IIRC).  The design target resolution was 1280x1024x66Hz, so your
smaller/faster mode should fit.

> | plasmatic:/# eeprom output-device=screen:r1024x800x85m
>
> After reboot nothing seems to have changed, my monitor's on screen
> display reports a refresh rate of 66 Hz which basically sucks.

Rebooting to Xfree86?  That probably doesn't care about the eeprom setting.

> ,----
> | plasmatic:/home/niehaus# eeprom |grep output
> | output-device=screen:r1024x800x85m
> | plasmatic:/home/niehaus#
> `----
>
> My command must have had *some* effect: the parameters have been
> stored in the eeprom.
>

> What am I doing wrong? Any hints?

I'm guessing that your X server is grabbing the modeline (or equivalent)
from somewhere other than that eeprom.  You might test that by going to
the boot prom and checking what your monitor reports then, or maybe
booting Solaris.

Jon Leonard