Re: Creator 3 D Framebuffer on Sun Ulta 1: XFree resolution and refresh rate settings

Jon Leonard <jleonard@oasis.slimy.com> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 20, 2005 at 01:21:39PM +0200, Sebastian Niehaus wrote:
> [snip]
> > The maschine: Sun Ultra 1, Creator 2D graphic card. Prolem: cannot set
> > XFree resolution and refresh rate in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 using "sunffb"
> >
> > *Google*
> >
> > Found http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html so I have to set the
> > frame buffers parameters at a different place.
>
> That looks fairly Solaris-specific.

Hmm. Not sure. I found a posting by David S. Miller which pointed to
some Sun Framebuffer Guide. Thats why I gave this one a try.

> > http://www.sunhelp.org/faq/FrameBuffer.html#99 says 1020x800 at 85 Hz
> > would be okay for any Creator 3D so I issued
>
> Should be fine.  The limit would be the speed of the RAMDAC (250 MHz,
> IIRC).  The design target resolution was 1280x1024x66Hz, so your
> smaller/faster mode should fit.

Okay.

> > | plasmatic:/# eeprom output-device=screen:r1024x800x85m
> >
> > After reboot nothing seems to have changed, my monitor's on screen
> > display reports a refresh rate of 66 Hz which basically sucks.
>
> Rebooting to Xfree86?  That probably doesn't care about the eeprom setting.

Well, as I understood the XFree driver "sunffb" doesnt't care much
about the Modlines. Which is consitent with my findings: fiddling in
the /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 did *not* result in different resolutions or
refresh rates.

[...]

> > What am I doing wrong? Any hints?
>
> I'm guessing that your X server is grabbing the modeline (or equivalent)
> from somewhere other than that eeprom.

Hmm. I don't know. (looking helpless).

> You might test that by going to
> the boot prom and checking what your monitor reports then,

Still the same: 66 Hz.

> or maybe booting Solaris.

| no space left on device /dev/sda

;-)