Re: Whats the trick? -> Continued

Hi Walt,

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004, Walt L. Williams wrote:

Greetings yet again

I have continued to try out different things.
Yes, I am rather persistant.

Very good, I don't think you are very far off. I strongly recommend you to redo an install from scratch using recent installer CDs (such as RC2, which was released today). Make sure that the first partition on the first disk is either small /boot or / under 1 GB in size (other people mentioned 2 GB, I have seen silo failing on a root partition slightly larger than 1 GB). And make sure that those partitions are ext2/ext3, do not use reiserfs or xfs for them - that will cause problems as well. Before partitioning you should be offered an option of erasing the whole disk(s), that will recreate an empty partition table, aka Sun disklabel. You can also recreate it manually, using fdisk's 's' option.

To reassure you, I've successfully tested the yesterday's daily businesscard CD on my Ultra2 (I've used 2.4 kernel though). I'll probably test the RC2 tomorrow.

Best regards,

Jurij Smakov                                        jurij@wooyd.org