Re: Circular Dependency libc6 and kernel-image-xx

At Mon, 15 Nov 2004 23:14:25 +0100,
Le grand pinguin wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 07:53:29PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> > Am Montag, 15. November 2004 11:09 schrieb Le grand pinguin:
> > > Newer kernels depend on newer kernel tools (modutils, intrd-tools etc.)
> > > and _these_do_ depend on newer versions of libc6. I had to use 'ar' and
> > > then a bold tar extraction and dpkg with '--force-depends' to break the
> > > circle - nothing for the faint of heart.
> >
> > File a bug report on libc6. I guess that the runtime kernel version detection
> > is not the proper way to do this. IIRC, on debian-boot, there was some
> > discussion on this.

Please think more before submitting bug report.  If you drop glibc
runtime kernel detection mechanism, then your system may not be worked
properly.  But I second the current framework should be improved.

> Ah, ok, i usually don't llurk on these groups. I'm still not shure what the
> propper way of handling these things really is. My first question after
> seeing this was: "iff libc6 really needs a2.4 kernel, will this mean that
> i should delete my old 2.2 from stable? What happens if i do boot a 2.2?
> (remember: i was just upgrading - not really the time to dump an old and
> working kernel without even knowing that the new one will actually work).

Good question.  Actually, your situation sometimes causes problem.  So
one idea is: kernel <-> libc ABI check tool in /etc/init.d should be
warned when depreciated kernel is used.

This problem is actually serious because this kind of problem affects
not only sparc but also mips and so on.  initrd-tools depends some
packages, and such packages also depend on libc6.  But sometimes ABIs
are changed, and newer libc6 should not be used with the old kernels.

I currently don't have good idea, but I believe it's not only libc6
issue but also debian whole mechanism problem.

Regards,
-- gotom