Re: Circular Dependency libc6 and kernel-image-xx

On Mon, Nov 15, 2004 at 07:53:29PM +0100, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> Am Montag, 15. November 2004 11:09 schrieb Le grand pinguin:
> > Newer kernels depend on newer kernel tools (modutils, intrd-tools etc.)
> > and _these_do_ depend on newer versions of libc6. I had to use 'ar' and
> > then a bold tar extraction and dpkg with '--force-depends' to break the
> > circle - nothing for the faint of heart.
>
> File a bug report on libc6. I guess that the runtime kernel version detection
> is not the proper way to do this. IIRC, on debian-boot, there was some
> discussion on this.

Ah, ok, i usually don't llurk on these groups. I'm still not shure what the
propper way of handling these things really is. My first question after
seeing this was: "iff libc6 really needs a2.4 kernel, will this mean that
i should delete my old 2.2 from stable? What happens if i do boot a 2.2?
(remember: i was just upgrading - not really the time to dump an old and
working kernel without even knowing that the new one will actually work).

> > BTW, i did a clean install of woody and then a 'dist-upgrade' to testing.
> > Shouldn't that work without first having to manually install a newer kernel
> > version.
>
> Not until Debian Sarge is actually released. With the release, there should be
> a working upgrade plan. Sometimes, a single dist-upgrade is not sufficient.

Yes, but how _will_ Sarge handle this?

> > And, as a second question: the libc6 package seems to look at the version
> > of the kernel during it's installation (not by means of 'Depends' in
> > the control file).
>
> A Depends: would make installing a self-compiled (without kernel-package)
> kernel-image impossible or a dummy-package would have to be installed. The
> latter, however, would make the whole thing senseless.

Indeed (i was toying with the idea of a dummy kernel :-)

Why is there all this fuzz - shouldn't we be able to install both versions
of libc6?

 Thanks for your comments

     RalfD