Re: Problem installing on a SparcStation 20

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 10:00:40AM +0100, Igmar Palsenberg wrote:

> > Ok, i'll ckeck the silo manuals. But what about the problem with the
> > sarge installation CD - a segfault during init isn't realy a nice
> > thing ...
>
> Any idea what kernel it boots ?

Not at the moment, but i can check if this is of any help. But the segfault
shows up in the middle of boot (and i got the impression from an earlier
answer that trhis is a known bug).

> This sparc box and 2.6.x really hate
> each other, resulting in hangs and other not so nice things.

Well, i'll find out soon. I took the easy way and switched to a network
installation (using rarp and tftpboot). I got a nice and (slow)running
woody. After that i did a dist-upgrade  and had a night of dependency
hell (circular dependency libc6 - kernel-image-2.4 - initrd - .... - libc6).
Having to use ar and tar to get my little toy into working condition isn't
really what i'd expect from a packaging system. BTW, what would be the
appropriate place to report such problems. I'm not sure whether this is
an issue of the libc6 package (that checks for the kernel version during
installation (???)) or for apt/dpkg.

 Thank's a lot for your help

   RalfD