Re: Problem installing on a SparcStation 20

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:44:59PM -0500, Tomislav Renic wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Le grand pinguin wrote:
> >
> > Hello list,
> >
> > i just downloaded and burned the iso images of
> > the debian installer CD for sparc (sarge-sparc-netinst.iso ).
> > Unfortunately, the box fails to boot up - the last kernel message
> > reads:
> >
> >  setting console mode to unicode (UTF-8)
> >

> > and then a never-ending stream of "Segmentation fault"  follows ...
> > Any ideas what i need to do to get by this problem?
> >
> >  TIA Ralf Mattes
>
> Unless you are looking at testing and reporting problems with the new debian
> installer, your best be will be to download a woody install image and
> boot from that.

Hmm, that's how i started, but unfortunately my woody installation
(vers. info Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 "Woody" - Official sparc Binary-1 CD)
doesn't even get this far - it stops during the early boot with a message
that claims that the root fs can't be mounted via NFS (???) and prompts
me to insert a root floppy (which is kind of hard considering the fact that
my box doesn't _have_ a floppy drive. I'd hate to have to install a floppy
just to install Debian).

Thanks

   RalfD