Re: Problem installing on a SparcStation 20

On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:51:59PM +0100, Le grand pinguin wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 11:44:59PM -0500, Tomislav Renic wrote:
> > On Wed, Nov 10, 2004 at 05:20:50PM +0100, Le grand pinguin wrote:
> > >
> > > Hello list,
> > >
> > > i just downloaded and burned the iso images of
> > > the debian installer CD for sparc (sarge-sparc-netinst.iso ).
> > > Unfortunately, the box fails to boot up - the last kernel message
> > > reads:
> > >
> > >  setting console mode to unicode (UTF-8)
> > >

> > > and then a never-ending stream of "Segmentation fault"  follows ...
> > > Any ideas what i need to do to get by this problem?
> > >
> > >  TIA Ralf Mattes
> >
> > Unless you are looking at testing and reporting problems with the new debian
> > installer, your best be will be to download a woody install image and
> > boot from that.
>
> Hmm, that's how i started, but unfortunately my woody installation
> (vers. info Debian GNU/Linux 3.0 r2 "Woody" - Official sparc Binary-1 CD)
> doesn't even get this far - it stops during the early boot with a message
> that claims that the root fs can't be mounted via NFS (???) and prompts
> me to insert a root floppy (which is kind of hard considering the fact that
> my box doesn't _have_ a floppy drive. I'd hate to have to install a floppy
> just to install Debian).

You probably get the following error:
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, Trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

I have seen other people with this problem but can't think of any
solutions to it.

I think you can tell silo on the boot cdrom where the root.tgz is
located on the CD...

Sorry,
Tomislav