Re: Problem installing on a SparcStation 20

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 12:13:25AM -0500, Tomislav Renic wrote:

> [...]
>
> You probably get the following error:
> Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
> VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, Trying floppy.
> VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER

Yes, that's the one i get.

> I have seen other people with this problem but can't think of any
> solutions to it.

So i've heard. BTW, the sparc install manual does mention problems
with sparc10/20 in section "5.2 Booting from a CD-ROM":

 Note that some problems have been reported on Sun4m (e.g., Sparc 10s
 and Sparc 20s) systems booting from CD-ROM.

It would've been _awfully_ nice to include a little bit more information -
this sentence is of no help at all (is _my_ problem the one that was all-
ready reported? If so, i would feel rather stupid to report it once again.
But where would i find these "reported" problems? Mailing list, bugtracker?).

> I think you can tell silo on the boot cdrom where the root.tgz is
> located on the CD...

Ok, i'll ckeck the silo manuals. But what about the problem with the
sarge installation CD - a segfault during init isn't realy a nice
thing ...

 Thanks RalfD