Re: Got sound going on a U60 debian smp

> after checking modprobe -v cs4231
>
> I got some errors showing that this wasn't working at all ... (missing
> symbols etc..)

I just went back to Debian's 2.4.27-1-sparc64-smp on my U60 (normally I
use a 2.6.8 to get USB2), and the cs4231 module loads and works.  I
loaded it with modprobe then reran /etc/init.d/audioctl start .

> I then found some info on the module you suggested cs4231 and followed a
> couple of steps to get my card producing output
>
> rmmod soundcore
> insmod audio
> insmod cs4231

That looks good.

> audioctl -f /dev/audio -w play.port=headphone

I don't think /dev/audio is relevant here.

Maybe try

  audioctl -w play.port=headphone

There are examples of how to set PARAMS in /etc/default/audioctl .  The
initscript for audioctl runs something like

  audioctl -nw $PARAMS

and PARAMS is set in /etc/default/audioctl .  Not too complicated.

> lsmod  output showed
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Not tainted
> cs4231                 21936   0
> audio                  23744   1  [cs4231]
> ac97_codec             16752   0  (unused)
> openprom                5312   0  (autoclean)
> lp                      8728   0  (autoclean)
> parport                34064   0  (autoclean) [lp]
> autofs4                10236   0  (unused)
> hid                    17336   0  (unused)

Get rid of ac97_codec .

> I was wondering what exactly to put in here and how this works
> I still have to track down some documentation for this but I found
> someone elses config that had the following in it
>
> char-major-14 soundcore
> alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
> alias sound-service-0-0 sound # mixer
> alias sound-service-0-3 sound # /dev/dsp & /dev/audio
> alias sound-service-0-6 sound # /dev/sndstat
> options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 # numbers may vary

You shouldn't need add any of that for the built-in sound, if you
include cs4231 in /etc/modules .

> This is probably wrong for my setup but I ithink I need to understand
> whats going on before I go down this road.
>
> like wise for this recomendation
>
> Have you set the PARAMS variable
>
>    PARAMS="play.port=line_out"
>
> in /etc./default/audioctl ?
>
> Thanks for this info I will try to find some documentation on these
> files and parameters and go from there.

The file /etc/default/audioctl contains many instructive comments.

> I am now working on the following.
>
> 1. Get the sound card playing raw at the correct level.
> 2. get xmms  working  with  the sound card ... Currently raw files work
> but  I think I am having issues using OSS pointing at /dev/audio (producing
> noise not music (could be sending wrong format to the device)

If /dev/audio doesn't work, maybe /dev/dsp will.

Try alsaplayer instead of xmms.  I have had mixed results with xmms, but
alsaplayer always works.

-- good luck, SP