Re: Got sound going on a U60 debian smp

Thanks for the worthwhile suggestions

after checking modprobe -v cs4231

I got some errors showing that this wasn't working at all ... (missing symbols etc..)

I then found some info on the module you suggested cs4231 and followed a couple of steps to get my card producing output

rmmod soundcore
insmod audio
insmod cs4231
audioctl -f /dev/audio -w play.port=headphone

lsmod  output showed

cs4231                 21936   0
audio                  23744   1  [cs4231]
ac97_codec             16752   0  (unused)
openprom                5312   0  (autoclean)
lp                      8728   0  (autoclean)
parport                34064   0  (autoclean) [lp]
autofs4                10236   0  (unused)
hid                    17336   0  (unused)

plugging headphones in and catting a raw audio file produced sound except it sounds like jimmy Hendrix.
I guess now I have to set levels using either audioctl or a mixer.

or added cs4231 to /etc./modules ? Have you set the PARAMS variable

I was wondering what exactly to put in here and how this works
I still have to track down some documentation for this but I found
someone elses config that had the following in it

char-major-14 soundcore
alias sound-slot-0 cs4232
alias sound-service-0-0 sound # mixer
alias sound-service-0-3 sound # /dev/dsp & /dev/audio
alias sound-service-0-6 sound # /dev/sndstat
options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=0 # numbers may vary

This is probably wrong for my setup but I ithink I need to understand whats going on before I go down this road.

like wise for this recomendation

Have you set the PARAMS variable

  PARAMS="play.port=line_out"

in /etc./default/audioctl ?

Thanks for this info I will try to find some documentation on these files and parameters and go from there.

I am now working on the following.

1. Get the sound card playing raw at the correct level.
2. get xmms working with the sound card ... Currently raw files work but I think I am having issues using OSS pointing at /dev/audio (producing
noise not music (could be sending wrong format to the device)
3. set this up for my user to be a member of the audio group for playback and mixing.

Hopefully then I will be able to sort out everyone else in Our Co running the same setup!

Thanks Again Steve
Carl