RE: Trouble with upgrade to unstable on SS20 SMP

You're entering a whole World Of Pain that I was in a couple of weeks ago
here.

Long and short of it is that 2.4.x kernels are pretty much b0rked on sparc32
and are, unfortunately, a prerequisite for Sarge.

As Jan just pointed out in another thread 2.4 development for sparc32 isn't
going to go anywhere fast now 2.6 is out but 2.6 currently doesn't work very
well on sparc32, either (let alone in SMP mode).

If you're desperate to get a machine running Sarge you're going to have to
either compile a 2.4 kernel or download one from http://osinvestor.com
before you do the dist-upgrade but my SS20 with two Ross 150MHz cards never
managed to stay up for more than 5 or 10 minutes at a time before
spinlocking with 2.4 on Woody and 2.4+Sarge was a complete disaster.

I, too, wanted to use my SS20 as an iptables router/firewall but I've had to
stick with 2.2/ipchains for the time being.

Gary