Re: Direct rendering: No

That is a truly lovely alternative for people with money.

Also, the only good ATI drivers are closed-source and x86-only. Some of us
care about such things.

Many people on this list doubtless are quite poor (I know I am) and merely
have an old surplus Sparc given by a friend. It is quite insulting to say
"Well, we turned off all accelerated 3D support so you can have pretty
fonts, without giving you a choice as to which you find a higher priority;
if you don't like it, spend 3.5 kilodollars on some fancy-schmantzy Sun
hardware AND write your own drivers, or just switch to x86."

Frankly, I'd rather have accelerated 3D than pretty fonts. Why have a 3D
workstation if it's just about useless for 3D? (And DON'T even TRY telling
me that software OpenGL rendering is "good enough", or anything more than
"absolute crap".)

--
J. L. Blank, Systems Administrator, twu.net
Please avoid sending me Word, Excel or PowerPoint attachments.