Re: What is best kernel/disto combination for SS20 SMP?

On Monday 05 Jul 2004 16:12, Gary Parker wrote:
> Hi all, I've been successfully running a stock Woody install on an SS5
> 70MHz/128MB for a year or so now as my home firewall/router/mail server but
> felt I'd outgrown it's limited processing power (wanting to do more with
> it) and recently treated myself to a SPARCstation 20 with 2x150Mhz Ross
> CPUs and 256MB RAM as an upgrade from eBay.

> So, what would people consider to be the best balance of up-to-date, yet
> stable, kernel and distribution for this machine?

As far as I'm aware, no kernel is stable with even a single 150MHz Ross CPU,
let alone two of them.

It shouldn't make any difference which distro you choose, it's the kernel
which is the problem. Compile the latest 2.4 from kernel.org and see if
that's any better.

But as I say, I don't think these CPUs play nicely with Linux at all, unless
someone knows different?

David.

--
David Johnson