Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?

> Look, do the math, the cheapest lowest end Athlons you can even buy on
> the market today are in the 1.2GHZ range (and these are for laptops).
> This means that even if your 600Mhz UltraSPARC-III could execute twice
> as many instructions per cycle as the Athlon (btw it can't), they
> would perform about the same.
Please can we not use clock speed of a measure of worth of CPUs.  It
doesn't mean much.  Equally well I oculd argue that SPARC boxen are
better because they are quad issue and not double as many PCs or the
fact that they are triple address not double...

For what it's worth the Physics department where I work has a 16 node
Sun blade system.  They claim they can just about match the FP
performance on a fast dual Athalon unless it requires lots of memory
access in which case the Sun kit shreds x86.

It all depends on what you mean by performance - what are you using to
benchmark and how much do you think that represents (see Hennesey &
Patterson).  In a lot of transaction based tests and memory subsystem
based benchmarks Sun kit has the edge.

Just my even prime's worth

Cheers,
 - Martin