Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 12:19:54 -0500
Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> Yeah, I wasn't too reliant on the GL numbers, but still 44 seems awfully
> slow to me. I've tried using both the ATI driver and the fbdev driver
> for xfree86, and I've tried both the with framebuffer and without
> option; the only thing that changes is that it locks up the machine hard
> forcing a power cycle to recover.

The ATI driver and fbdev have zero GL acceleration, it's all going
to be done in software.  Getting 44 frames per second with zero
hardware acceleration is perfectly acceptable.

> But as mentioned in previous posts, even console-based activities seem
> sluggish. Do this info look right?

You have a sb1000 with a faster cpu than even I do.

I use my sb1000 for all of my development, it is easily the fastest
sparc64 machine I have.  It's slower than my multi-ghz athlon box of
course.