Re: Are Sunblade 1000s slow?

Ben Collins wrote:

On Thu, Oct 02, 2003 at 10:42:59AM -0500, Kent West wrote:
Kent West wrote:

This year, I've gotten the opportunity to put Debian on a Sunblade 1000 (with 1GB RAM - whoo-hoo!). However, now that it's running Debian, it seems awfully sluggish.
Another example: running "glxgears" only shows a frame rate of 26 to 44 FPS.

GL isn't a good comparison, since it relies on video hardware, not the
CPU (unless of course you are running it as software-GL).
Yeah, I wasn't too reliant on the GL numbers, but still 44 seems awfully slow to me. I've tried using both the ATI driver and the fbdev driver for xfree86, and I've tried both the with framebuffer and without option; the only thing that changes is that it locks up the machine hard forcing a power cycle to recover.

But as mentioned in previous posts, even console-based activities seem sluggish. Do this info look right?

snert[@macs54]:/home/snert> cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu             : TI UltraSparc III+ (Cheetah+)
fpu             : UltraSparc III+ integrated FPU
promlib         : Version 3 Revision 5
prom            : 4.5.16
type            : sun4u
ncpus probed    : 1