Re: ss20 dual ross hypersparc; smp; 2.4/2.6 kernel

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 09:53:21AM -0400, Heitzso wrote:
> I'm wanting to setup SMP on a dual ross hypersparc ss20
> with 2.4 or 2.6 kernel to be able to use iptables, etc.
> (SOHO firewall/router/web server)
>
> Because I'm familiar with debian (have had on my dev 386 box
> for a long time) I went with debian install.  I'm cross posting
> because debian/gentoo are the two active sparc development
> efforts I'm aware of.  Debian stable 2.2.. single cpu
> kernel out of the box worked fine.  I upgraded to Debian
> unstable 2.4.. SMP and that kernel locked up on the way up.

My experience on an SMP ss20 (used to be dual 75MHz supersparc, now a
quad 125MHz hypersparc) is that getting it to boot with an SMP kernel is
a matter of luck. Sometimes it boots, sometimes it crashes. Once it has
booted however, it seems to be stable (I am now runnign 2.4.21, compiled
with gcc 2.4.95)
I have an UP kernel as default in silo, so that when I am not around,
the machine boots cleanly (being up is more important than having lots
of CPUs but not booting...), but when I am around, I try to boot SMP.

> Next note is 'make bzImage' doesn't work in this
> version of the kernel.  A simple 'make' builds
> vmlinux and I (believe, haven't tried) can work
> from there.  NOTE I assume this is not related
> to sparc architecture but have not tracked it down.

Only intel uses zImage and bzImage. All (most?) the other architectures have
bootloaders that can boot straight vmlinux kernels, or gzipped vmlinux kernels.

Frank