Re: cannot find sparc64.gz

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 10:05:21AM +0200, Antonello wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 17:35:54 -0700
> Andrew Sharp <andy@ccpu.com> wrote:
>
> > Does mplayer use VIS?  I know on my box that has mplayer (x86 ville) it
> > uses far more CPU with the SDL than when I specify xv as the video
> > output device.  Can you try that?  And what happens if you specify
> > something like an 8MB cache size?
>
> The Xv video output is not supported on Sparc, so I can't compare these
> values. I can use SDL, OpenGL (with or without multiple textures) or
> plain X11/Xshm output. Both OpenGL and classic X output are completely
> unusable on my machine, achieving a stellar frame rate of about one
> frame per minute ;). SDL is faster, but still not sufficient. I tried
> with or without caching, frame dropping, indexing, etc. with no
> appreciable result.
> Notably, using VLC instead of mplayer is a no-go, even with SDL, I only
> get error messages about the impossibility to "allocate at least one
> direct buffer" (using SDL) and a plain old "decoder stuck" outputting in
> X11.

Arg, I figured that was a longshot.  You really need to get VIS working
for you, then you stand a chance.  I know that some time ago, the guy
that did so much of the outstanding Linux work for PPC added the code
to xine to use the "Velocity Engine" or whatever of the G4 to get xine
to play mpegs reasonably on G4 apples.  Possibly you could model some
modifications after that code to use VIS instead.  If you wanted to "do
the right thing" you could write the VIS version of the mlib functions,
and a lot of cheering would be heard in the sparc/linux camp then!