Re: cannot find sparc64.gz

On Wed, Aug 20, 2003 at 01:34:37AM +0200, Antonello wrote:
> On Wednesday 20 August 2003 00:37, Martin wrote:
>
> > What sort of tasks?  I can believe heavily FP intensive tasks (like
> > multimedia) are easier on an Athlon (even better on a PPC 9450 Iwould
> > have thought) but I find that the significant cache on the processor I'm
> > using makes a big difference on lots of other stuff.  Plus the lower (in

You're living in a dream world ~:^)  Don't get wrong, I'm no -anything-
lover, and my company sells US2 based machines, but in the 6 years
between when a 333 MHz US2 U5/10 was kinda state of the art, and when
the Athlon XP2000 was kinda state of the art, X86 technology just got up
and left the solar system.  A more appropriate question is which would
you rather have: the 333MHz U5 or a 450MHz P2 from roughly the same era?
The ultraSPARC box obviously has much better performance headroom and
therefore a much longer useful lifespan.

> At the moment, I can only say, with a reasonable amount of background, that
> the system is slow during video decoding (MPEGx at least) probably due to DMA
> issues between the IDE controller and the PCI integrated video controller.
> I'll surely investigate more in the future.

Does mplayer use VIS?  I know on my box that has mplayer (x86 ville) it
uses far more CPU with the SDL than when I specify xv as the video
output device.  Can you try that?  And what happens if you specify
something like an 8MB cache size?