Re: [debian-sparc] Which is best distro for Ultra 10

Thank you very much for your reply. I am new to Sun and systems and hence
these questions. In order to start my work on this I need to first find out
the Sun system configuration I am using. What I know is its a Sun Ultra10 (4
PCI, SPARC-IIi 300MHz and 256 RAM). Which I found after looking at the system
and then while scanning the messages file.

-  Debian Linux distro available on debian site is for SPARC so will this work
on this ULTRA10 machine?
-  The application which I want to port uses C/C++, Informix7.1, DataView (for
GUI features). This application is originally built on HP-UX 10.20. So is
Debian a good choice?
- The application(Switch Surveillance system used for Telecom Network
Management)  has major control through the GUI features, so will Debian be the
right disrto to use?
- Are there any porting guidelines document available? If yes then where can I
find them?

Thanks for the help.
Amit

Erwann Abalea wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Amit Mehra wrote:
>
> > Few questions to the linux users who have worked on Sun Ultra 10
>
> And others, too.
>
> > I have a Sun Ultra10 workstation(UltraSPARC-IIi 300MHz, 256 MB RAM) and
> > plan
> > to port a HPUX 10.20 based system on this machine using Linux. My
> > questions are:
> > 1. Is this possible?
>
> Maybe, maybe not. That depends on the thing you want to port.
>
> > 2.What Linux distro should I use?
>
> The one you like. But since you wrote this to debian-sparc, then maybe you
> already choosed the Debian project?
>
> > 3.Which is the best known Linux supported on Sun Ultra machines?
>
> I'd go for a Debian.
>
> > 4. Is Sun Ultra support available on the internet?
>
> What kind of support? Hardware? Software? Development?
>
> > 5. How far this Ultra system better then a Intel system?
>
> It produces more heat, the case is nicer and has a better internal
> arrangement (well, maybe not the Ultra5/10 ones, but the Ultra1/2
> definitely).
>
> You only have to define what 'better' means for you.
>
> --
> Erwann ABALEA <eabalea@certplus.com> - RSA PGP Key ID: 0x2D0EABD5
> -----
> Keyboard not connected, press <F1> to continue.
begin:vcard
n:Mehra;Amit
tel;work:91-141-2770131-134   EXT. 129
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:www.compucomtech.com
org:Tekmark Compucom Global Solutions;Telecom
version:2.1
email;internet:amitm@tgs-solutions.com
title:Support Engineer
adr;quoted-printable:;;IT-14-15 EPIP=0D=0ASitapua Industrial Area;Jaipur;Rajasthan;;India
fn:Amit Mehra
end:vcard