Re: Sparc5 woody boot woes update

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 08:27:00PM +0000, Roger Burton West wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 01:06:58PM -0600, Nathan E Norman wrote:
> >DHCP != RARP.
> >Install the RARP server (rarpd); create/edit /etc/ethers, and have
> >fun.
>
> Yup.
>
> Also: it appears that some switches won't pass RARP packets. I have a
> Netgear FS108 as part of the homenet, and I couldn't get my SS20
> netbooting until I swapped it out for a generic hub...

Hmm, well ... I've got two of those, and I never had problems with
RARP packets.  I just checked; one of those switches has had an Ultra
30, an Ultra 60, and two SS5s netboot through it.

Disclaimer: the FS108 is connected with a crossover to a 3Com switch.
The RARP server is connected to the 3Com.

  Q:      What's the difference between a computer salesman and a used
          car salesman?
  A:      A used car salesman knows when he's lying.