newbie questions

i have sparcstation5
i have a solaris 2.6 cd from the factory and i can reinstall it all day
long (literally) without problems
i want to install linux and run gnome and or kde
i didnt find an iso image for debian (where can i get one?)  so i
downloaded and burnt a redhat 6.2 for sparc iso image to cd on my win98
pc.
it hangs during the install, usually on the same file (image-magic
3.4.xx), the 5th file installed, if i install X.
i have two cd's burnt on different burners and they both lock up at this
same file. i tried a different cd rom drive and the same thing happens.
i've been using linux native partitions, that never get fully built
apparently, and i have to remove the old ones to get the new ones to
take and go into the install and then it  locks up again at the same
file
i have a segate 1.0 gig ultrascsi and 2 gig ibm ultra scsi. i've set
them both up individually and the same thing happens.
i think my hardware is ok because solaris will install.....
should i use the sun/sparc native partitions instead of native linux?
should i give up and learn solaris?
do i need more ram ( i have 64 megs)?  it's kinda slow, i guess.
i set my swap file to 128megs -- too big, too small?
should i manually set /home /var /usr and /

thanks and help!

lars hall