Re: installation difficulties

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 10:27:25PM +0200, Pieter Krul wrote:
> Daniel Freedman wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the suggestions, but I still haven't been able to make it work.
> > I now partition my 2.1 GB drive as follows:
> >
> > /dev/sda1:      50 MB        mounted as /boot
> > /dev/sda2:   ~1500 MB        mounted as /
> > /dev/sda3:                   special Sun Disk Image (type 5)
> > /dev/sda4:     512 MB        Linux Swap (machine has 256 MB RAM)
> >

> >   Rebooting with command: disk1
> >   Boot device:/iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0 File and
> >   args:
> >   SILO boot:   < I type: "linux" >
> >   Cannot find /vmlinuz (Unknown ext2 error)
> >   Image not found.... try again
>
> It still could be the known problem with older PROMs that Joshua
> described. The SILO configuration file should also be below 1GB.
>
> What happens if you do `cat /etc/silo.conf` from the SILO prompt,
> or when you try the following from that prompt:
>
> boot: 1/vmlinuz-2.2.17-cdm

Also try "ls" at the silo prompt and see if it's there. More than likely
this is caused by boot being on a seperate partition. Might want to redo
that installation without the extra /boot (try a 500Meg "/", 1G "/usr" and
512Meg swap).

> If this boots, you might want to copy /etc/silo.conf to /boot,
> and create a symbolic link from /etc to /boot/silo.conf so that
> your system can find it.

Needs more than this, have to create a symlink from /boot/etc to "."
(unless you reinstall SILO with some extra params).