Re: installation difficulties

Joshua,

Thanks for the suggestions, but I still haven't been able to make it work.
I now partition my 2.1 GB drive as follows:

/dev/sda1:      50 MB        mounted as /boot
/dev/sda2:   ~1500 MB        mounted as /
/dev/sda3:                   special Sun Disk Image (type 5)
/dev/sda4:     512 MB        Linux Swap (machine has 256 MB RAM)

When I reboot during installation, I get the same message that:

  Boot device:/iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@3,0 File and
  args:
  Bad magic number in disk label
  Can't open disk label package
  Can't open boot device

Now, if I type "boot disk1", I get a different message than before.  I
used to get:

  Boot device:/iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0 File and
  args:
  SILO Buggy old PROMs don't allow reading past 1GB from start of the
  disk.
  Send complains to SMCC
  Read error on block 294916
  Cannot find /etc/silo.conf (Attempt to read block from filesystem
  resulted in short read)
  Couldn't load /etc/silo.conf
  No config file loaded, you can boot just from this command line.
  Type [prompath;]part/path_to_image [parameters] on the prompt

Now, I get:

  Rebooting with command: disk1
  Boot device:/iommu/sbus/espdma@5,8400000/esp@5,8800000/sd@1,0 File and
  args:
  SILO boot:   < I type: "linux" >
  Cannot find /vmlinuz (Unknown ext2 error)
  Image not found.... try again

So, it looks a little bit better, but I'm still not making much progress
as I can't get beyond this.  I'm wondering if this has anything to do with
the boot process looking for vmlinuz in / which is then symlinked to
vmlinuz-2.2.17-sun4cdm in /boot.  But maybe there's the problem again that
the vmlinuz in / that the boot process is looking for is in a partition
that's larger than a 1 GB (even though /boot is only 50 MB and is /sda1).

Sorta confused here....

Thanks everyone for all the help. I appreciate any more suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Daniel