Re: glibc, X11 and the rest

On Fri, Apr 30, 1999 at 12:22:02AM +0200, Christian Meder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> finally I caught up with normal life again; maybe slightly more noisy
> than before ;-)

Good to hear from you again :)

> It's ok that the old sparc patches were dropped because they were
> just compatibility hacks for the 2.0.x kernels. Potato will be pure
> 2.2.x on Sparc. But I'm slightly worried about the upgrade path. If we
> really depend on a kernel > 2.2.7 we'll need a glibc preinst script on
> Sparc which bails out on older kernels (uname). Ben, do you know
> what's the init problem ? Maybe we can fix it instead ?

Yes, the only thing we have is a glibc 2.1pre compatibility patch for
the chown@GLIBC2.1 symbol, new compiles will completely ignore this. As
far as the kernel 2.2.7 issue, it's only pertinent to sun4m and I think
sun4d (confirmation?). I have already setup a preinst addition that
checks /proc/cpuinfo for this and then checks for uname -r and compares
the version. It fails if requirements are not met.

We did try a vfork patch, but it reportedly did not work. We have not
seen any other patches that might fix this, but since I am not even
close to uploading glibc 2.1.1 into the archive, we still have time to
test, and I'm willing to try. Recompiling init does not work, btw.

> And finally on the autobuild issue:
> Ben, will your wannabuild/buildd act as master database for the rest
> of us or will we setup a buildd on one of the xia machines ?

My server will act as the main wanna-build database, I'm not prepared
to upgrade to potato on this server yet, nor is this old LX fast enough
to do any major compiles. I am setting up xia01 to be the main buildd
and xia02 will remain at slink for security update related compiles
(thanks ward). I am willing to give access to the buildd account on my
system for other buildd servers if needed. If you want to see current
statistics for the wanna-build db they are available at:

http://marcus.seva.net/~buildd

These are updated several times a day. There isn't a buildd running
yet, so no packages are being compiled. I am also going to setup an
email interface that can check pgp keys so some of you out there can
try to take care of failed builds and interface with wanna-build (keeps
track of who has what and what they are doing with it). Hopefully we
can take care of sparc compiles pretty well with this setup.

Ben Collins <bcollins@debian.org>                        Debian GNU/Linux
OpenLDAP Dev - bcollins@openldap.org     The Choice of the GNU Generation