Re: configuring X

If you used the virtual consoles and follow your "startx" with a
CTRL-ALT-F1 (or wherever you ran it), you'll see some error
messages.  Anyways, the quick fix is to (as root) do the following:

# chmod 666 /dev/fb?

That takes care of the problem.  The reason why this is so was
discussed on this list about a month or two ago, so grab it in
the archives off of http://www.debian.org/ if you're interested
in the details.