Re: Problem in rescue disk for Sun Ultra 1

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> Orion> First, thanks a lot for all the replies.  Yes, I had read
> Orion> somewhere that Ultra's cannot be booted from floppy, I just
> Orion> can't remember exactly where.

> Probably the Install Manual?

> Orion> But the odd thing is, I have
> Orion> already installed Debian/Linux in this same machine using
> Orion> floppy disks with a set of images from the site
> Orion> ftp.ecs.msu.edu, and it worked!  It was pre-slink, though, and
> Orion> I think the images were for testing.  Unfortunately, I was
> Orion> stupid enough to overwrite the disk a few weeks ago, and so had
> Orion> to try the new images (without success).  So I assume there is
> Orion> a way since the hardware is exactly the same.  Does anyone have
> Orion> any idea how?  Many thanks in advance.

ftp.cse.msu.edu

> Hmm. My model, an ultra5, I know actually lacks the ability to boot
> from floppies in the firmware.

> I guess there is a bug here in that for sun4u machines which support
> it, floppy booting should work.

According to Jakub, none of Sun's Ultras will boot from floppy.  (The
AXi machines should be able to boot from floppy, however.)

That said, when I last checked, the Ultra floppies were being
incorrectly made by the boot-floppies script.  (If run in a sparc32
machine, if it is run on a sparc64 machine, then the sparc32 floppies
will be broken.)  The solution is to add the "-U" flag to silo when
making the 32-bit floppies and the "-u" flag when making the 64-bit
floppies.

The floppies that were at my site were correctly made, but I never
corrected Eric because I didn't any sun4u machines could boot from
floppy.

Steve
dunham@cse.msu.edu