sparc x server doesn't check /dev/fb? perms correctly

Package: xserver-xsun
Version: 3.3.2.3a-11
Severity: important

Orion the Hunter <orion@massey.ee.nd.edu> writes:

> Quoting Eric Delaunay <delaunay@lix.polytechnique.fr>:
> > About wrong /dev/fb0 permissions, could someone investigate why X does not find
> > the device if not world writable ?  I was not able to track it down to the
> > point (strace is segfaulting early on X, Xsun, startx, ...).
> > Even with Xsun running suid I get the following error: "no screen found".
>
> I ran startx under strace and the problem seems to be that
> /usr/bin/X11/Xsun is testing access permissions for /dev/fb[012] using
> the access() system call, which uses the real user ID instead of the
> effective user ID.  I have never worried about X with my PC and
> therefore I don't know how it works, but I'd say the approach taken by
> Xsun is not the correct one.

It would seem not. Branden, is this possible to fix for slink?

Branden, this problem probably also occurs for xserver-xsunmono and
xserver-mach64.  I'm not sure why only the sparc X servers seem prone
to this.