Re: fixing slink boot-floppies for sparc

On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Joshua Uziel wrote:

> Then perhaps something got unset from being SUID root on my
> system during installation.  Looking at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx,
> the last line exec's xinit ... ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit shows:

/usr/X11R6/bin/xinit isn't the wrapper, /usr/X11R6/bin/X is.  xinit and/or
xdm both invoke that to start the X server, which in turn digs around in
/etc/X11/Xserver to find out (a) who may run it and (b) what the correct X
server to run is.

Incidentally, why does /usr/bin/X11, which the X and FHS folks (if I recall
correctly) deprecated, seem to be making a resurgence in Debian?

> Sure, why not?  Or then, if the *only* mouse device is /dev/sunmouse
> then /dev/mouse could be the device and /dev/sunmouse can be
> skipped altogether... I'm indifferent... it's truly a matter of
> preference.  I for one would probably just do the symlink method.

I'd rather not see /dev/sunmouse disappear, because there may be things
unbeknownst to both of us that refer to it directly.

--Jeff