Re: fixing slink boot-floppies for sparc

J. S. Connell wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Apr 1999, Joshua Uziel wrote:
>
> > Then perhaps something got unset from being SUID root on my
> > system during installation.  Looking at /usr/X11R6/bin/startx,
> > the last line exec's xinit ... ls -l /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit shows:
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/xinit isn't the wrapper, /usr/X11R6/bin/X is.  xinit and/or
> xdm both invoke that to start the X server, which in turn digs around in
> /etc/X11/Xserver to find out (a) who may run it and (b) what the correct X
> server to run is.
>
> Incidentally, why does /usr/bin/X11, which the X and FHS folks (if I recall
> correctly) deprecated, seem to be making a resurgence in Debian?

I discovered that while upgrading my PC box to slink yesterday.
Should be /usr/X11R6/bin/X instead.

About wrong /dev/fb0 permissions, could someone investigate why X does not find
the device if not world writable ?  I was not able to track it down to the
point (strace is segfaulting early on X, Xsun, startx, ...).
Even with Xsun running suid I get the following error: "no screen found".

> > Sure, why not?  Or then, if the *only* mouse device is /dev/sunmouse
> > then /dev/mouse could be the device and /dev/sunmouse can be
> > skipped altogether... I'm indifferent... it's truly a matter of
> > preference.  I for one would probably just do the symlink method.
>
> I'd rather not see /dev/sunmouse disappear, because there may be things
> unbeknownst to both of us that refer to it directly.

Why X don't use /dev/sunmouse directly then ?  And gpm too ?
This way, no need to manage the symlink.

BTW, gpm is already using dedicated devices on other architectures (/dev/ttyS0
on my PC box, /dev/psmouse on alpha by default).

Another point about X:
I'm using a french keyboard (latin1 layout) and I cannot switch back to virtual
consoles.  CTRL-ALT + F<n> are inoperant.  Any advice ?

Regards.