Re: Sparcy gets a brother

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 04:50:43PM +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Stephen J. Carpenter wrote:
>
> > ok...
> > At he MIT Flea Market I puyrchased another Sun Station this month.
> > I got me an IPC this time. It seems faster but...
> > I still can't get Linux on it :(
> > I came in to see a guy I know with some SUN stations at work
> > yesterday, nd we made up boot floppies...
> > My machines refuse to boot (both my IPC and the Sparc 1)
> > I put my hard drive in HIS sparc 1 (same model as mine) and
> > type boot floppy...(both my machines refuse to do this)
> > I see a SILO prompt but...it wont boot. It complains about
> > a missing lilo.conf and not being able to read block 6.
> > I am going to try the tftpboot.img when I can...but boot floppies would
> > be much more convinent.
>
> Why are boot floppies more convenient?  What are you planning to use this
> thing for?  Presumably it'll be on a network.

Well it WILL eventually be on my network...
the problem is right now it is not a machine I iwll use often because
well...
I have no room for it :(
There is no desk space left on my desk...and many of the people I live with
are um well...oposed to many other places I would like to put
some computers
(would you believe the first thing they told me was "No computers in the
bathroom, or the kitchen")
sheesh....what great ideas they gave me :)

> Anyhow, if it fails the floppy self-test, you've probably got a buggered
> drive.  But there *do* seem to be problems with the boot-disks at the
> moment.

great :)
-Steve
E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"