Re: Sparcy gets a brother

On Mon, Jul 20, 1998 at 05:15:14PM +0200, Dinh-Tuan.Pham@imag.fr wrote:
> Stephen J. Carpenter writes:
>  > My machines refuse to boot (both my IPC and the Sparc 1)
>  > I put my hard drive in HIS sparc 1 (same model as mine) and
>  > type boot floppy...(both my machines refuse to do this)
>  > I see a SILO prompt but...it wont boot. It complains about
>  > a missing lilo.conf and not being able to read block 6.
>
>  I have been able to boot my Sun IPC from the boot floppies of debian.
> Jute type boot floppy at the ok prompt, with the disk resc1440.bin on
> the drive. After the floppy is loaded, it is ejected and I am asked to
> put in the root disk (root.bin). Then it brings up the instllation
> menu from which I can install debian from a NFS mounted partition (of
> another NFS server)

ahh cool...wish it worked for me

>  > I am wondering if maybe I need new floppy drives? I try on my sparc 1
>  > boot fd() (BTW its ROM version is like 1.0)
>  > that gives me an error...in fact test-floppy also fails but eject works fine
>  >
>  > sigh...im going to try some more things when I get a chance...im
>  > just sorta wondering if the boot floppy imigas are screwed?
>
> How do you create the floppies. I just ftp the files resc1440.bin and
> root.bin to a PC running DOS (note: some site gzip the file so you
> have to gunzip them) then I write them to floppies with the rawrite
> program. You can't use dd on a Sun (Solaris) machine because of the
> volume mamager daemon.

first I got onto a SUN system and issued
fdformat -U floppy
Then...I took the floppy and placed it in an i386 linux machine. I then typed
dd if=resc1440.bin of=/dev/fd0
I also tried
cp resc1440.bin /dev/fd0 (always worked for me in the past)
both had the same result
-STeve

E-mail "Bumper Stickers":
"A FREE America or a Drug-Free America: You can't have both!"
"honk if you Love Linux"