Re: Current State of Debian Sparc Port

On Sat, 3 Jan 1998, Douglas F. Elznic wrote:

>  With the regretful demise of redhat for sparc i am wondering if it is
> going to become a lost cause. What is the current situation for the
> debian sparc distribution. I also am extremely interested in the serial
> drivers. I want one of my sparcs to do nothing but dial into my ISP fire
> up a ppp connection and then masq. my internal network at home.

Regretful demise?

RedHat 5.0 is based on glibc 2.0.x. Sparc support wasn't put into glibc
until glibc 2.1.x which is the development version. The RedHat sparc guys
are backporting the sparc stuff to glibc 2.0.x but have been delayed.
Remember that Alpha has always used glibc and that Intel support was in
glibc 2.0.x from the outset.

Tom